Hello fellow painters of PAPNM. Normally the beginning of May is a joyful time of new green leaves, emerging flowers and beautiful skies. Unfortunately, not this year. I would like to acknowledge that many of us have been and will continue to be preoccupied by the tragic fires ravaging our state. We are watching the weather and wildfire updates with trepidation. These fires are not only consuming much of our state’s beauty but also causing real harm to residents, homes, livestock and wildlife. If you are impacted or under evacuation watch or order, please take care of you and yours. This situation just brings home the point that our environment is fragile and must be revered and protected. As we go out to paint, I am reminded that we must be mindful of our potential impact on the land
A few things happening this month.
- PACE: I would like congratulate those painters who have been juried into the PAPNM exhibit at Plein Air Convention and Expo Santa Fe NM this month. The. Album is now available. PACE starts on the 17th and will run until the 21st at Buffalo Thunder Hotel in Santa Fe. If you are going to the event, I hope to see you there. Don’t forget to check out our booth in the Expo Hall, which is open to the public. Our booth number is 702. In addition to some really wonderful paintings hanging and available for sale, we will have painting demonstrations by PAPNM Masters Peggy Immel and Joe Anna Arnett. Also we have several members on Faculty at PACE, make sure you check out their presentation or at least say hello. Contact me or Cynthia Inson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
- 2022 Taos Art Museum at Fechin Invitational Exhibition is finishing up this month. It closes on the 15th. If you haven't had an opportunity to get up to see the exhibit, you really should make the time and take in the insightful work of Master and Signature artists of this organization. I might be a bit biased but I really do believe we have some of the best artists in the country represented in this group. Here is the link to the Album
- Mentorship Program New Mentorship Program now available to members that may have questions about our group’s activities, need advice setting up equipment for plein air or just need friendly encouragement in their art journey. We have a group of enthusiastic intermediate and advanced artist members that have volunteered their time and energy to help members in the spirit of sharing and friendship who may be in an earlier stage of their plein air journey in the spirit of sharing and friendship. Carole Bellivieu is the program chair, drop her at line if you have questions at email@example.com
- Paint Out: at the San Francisco Asis Mission Church and Ranchos de Taos Plaza 60 St. Francis Plaza, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557 on May 21st at 9am. Here is the link to the Paint Out Schedule for the Year
- Open Board Meeting on May 27 at 11am. As usual, please keep your phone on mute and use the chat function to ask questions etc. Here is the link https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83874791765?pwd=TlJINk53SWlPZ2UyWVNSN20yZ29Gdz09 Meeting ID: 838 7479 1765, Passcode: 594911
Master Signature Focus on Joe Anna Arnett of Santa Fe
Joe Anna has been an active member of Plein Air Painters of New Mexico since 2016 and a Master since 2020. Joe Anna is the recipient of the Plein Air Magazine’s Life Time Achievement Award and will be honored at this month’s PACE at Buffalo Thunder Resort in Santa Fe.
A little bit about this amazing talent and wonderful friend and colleague: Joe Anna Arnett earned a BFA degree from the University of Texas. She then worked for Young & Rubicam Advertising in New York as a senior art director working on such accounts as Merrill Lynch and the US Postal Service. She continued her studies in fine art at the Art Students League of New York for several years. In 1997, she became a Master Artist of the Artists in America Show at the Denver Historical Society Museum. She has also exhibited at museums around the country and in 2006 she was honored by the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, OK as one of their featured artists in the Rendezvous exhibition. Arnett exhibited in the Prix de West show at the national Cowboy Hall of Fame for 14 years. Arnett is a Signature Member of Oil Painters of America, Signature member of Laguna Plein Air Painters and Master Signature member of Plein Air Artists Colorado, Master Signature member of Plein Air Painters of New Mexico and an elected member of The Salmagundi Club. Arnett has participated in Plein Air Maui, Plein Air Southwest, En Plein Air Texas and Paint Grand Traverse.
Arnett has written articles for The Artist’s Magazine, American Arts Quarterly, ART Ideas and Australian Artists Magazine and has been featured in The International Herald Tribune, Southwest Art, Western Art Digest, Art of the West and the North Light books Painting with Passion, The Best of Flower Painting, I and II and North Light’s Sketchbook Confidential II. She authored the North Light Book “Painting Sumptuous Vegetables, Fruits and Flowers in Oil”.
She is represented by Zaplin Lampert, Santa Fe, NM from 1989 to present.
Check out Joe Anna Arnett Fine Art at https://www.joeannaarnett.com.
Welcome to new Members
I’d like to be among the first but certainly not the last to welcome our new members. so glad you decided to join us.
Let's support our neighbors as the first responders work to bring these tragic fires to an end in our state.
- Dana Aldis of Gallup, New Mexico
- Diana Delander of Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Ellen DeWitt of Rowe, New Mexico
- Cheryl Dietz of Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Martha Griego of Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Hannah Heaton of Albuquerque, New Mexico
- M, Jane Hocking of Belen, New Mexico
- Marian Jackson of Taos, New Mexico
- Tatiana Koch of Arroyo Seco, New Mexico
- Janet Levy of Durham, North Carolina
- Gayle Lewis of Farmington, New Mexico
- Fran Mayfield of Farmington, New Mexico
- Eric Wiswell of Santa Fe, New Mexico